Cyprus is a multicultural society. It can also be safe, open and respectful towards third-country nationals: refugees, asylum seekers, immigrants. The “Aware” team suggests that each of us takes three steps: acceptance, respect, participation!
The presence of refugees, asylum seekers and immigrant workers. I know who and how many they are, why they are in Cyprus, where they work and how they’re trying to build their lives.
- Learn about the causes of the refugee phenomenon
- Look into people’s migration flows
- Live their experiences and listen to their thoughts
Their culture and diversity. I invite them to learn our own culture and way of life, on the basis of which we coexist. Our culture is open and is supported on ecumenical and universal values.
- Build a world of mutual respect
- Embrace the abundance of multicultural coexistence
- Draw on the lesson of Ecumenical Hellenism
Actively in life and society without discrimination. I support the effort they make to overcome adjustment difficulties, to learn our language. I want them to become an equal member of our society with full civic rights and responsibilities, as those of a Cypriot citizen.
- Meet refugees and immigrants
- With knowledge fight stereotypes and xenophobia
- Help them learn about our country and better integrate into society
Through understanding, mutual respect and support, they can realize their rights and dreams and contribute better and more.